Education Tax Credit

There are two higher education credits that reduce the amount of tax someone owes on their tax return.

(1) American opportunity tax credit

(2) Lifetime learning credit

The taxpayer, their spouse or their dependent must have been a student enrolled at least half time for one academic period to qualify. The taxpayer may qualify for one of these credits even if they don’t owe any taxes.